Bilingual Education without borders!
Carmelcollege is the only Secondary school in Emmen with a bilingual Havo and Atheneum. Students do not only receive more lessons of English, but also more than half of all the other subjects are taught in English. On top of that students are introduced to all sorts of things that are quintessentially British or Anglo Saxon. Especially at the start this education requires extra effort. But we have learned that it takes only a short time before pupils become used to it.
Why choose Bilingual Education?
English is the main language of instruction at an ever growing rate of Universities and Colleges for Higher Education. English is the Lingua Franca: the language of science, the language of international business and indispensible in many Dutch and European companies and institutes. Students that have received bilingual education certainly have a head start due to their excellent command of English and their international orientation. They will feel right at home in Europe and beyond.
What does Carmelcollege have to offer?
TTO at Carmelcollege Emmen means:
- More than 50% of all lessons in the first three years taught in English
- English language lessons from native or near native speakers
- Special subjects like Drama, Art and Culture and Science for Public Understanding
- Special projects for all years, supported by ICT when possible
- A varied cultural programme with links to Anglo Saxon culture
- Much attention to communicative skills
Furthermore we have separate classes for TTO students, which makes sure that you get the education that suits your level.
Diploma and more!
Of course you will receive a “normal” Atheneum or Havo diploma at the end of your 5 or 6 years of bilingual education. Furthermore you will have the opportunity to take some internationally acknowledged exams like CAE (Certificate in Advanced English), CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English), and International Baccelaureate English A2. These certificates will open doors to education at Colleges and Universities all over the world. It is also possible to receive exemption for certain subjects for students who have attended TTO.
TTO is meant for Havo and Atheneum pupils who are looking for a challenge. Motivation and enthusiasm are very important. What do we expect of you if you want to attend our TTO?
- A Havo or Atheneum recommendation from primary school.
- A Cito score of 540 or higher for Havo and of 545 or higher for Atheneum, or a comparable score on a GCO test.
- A positive assessment of the linguistic competence by the primary school teacher.
- Willingness on the student’s part to spend extra time on homework.
- A pupil applies for bilingual Havo or Atheneum, by entry form or on-line.
- We handle entries in order of application.
- After application an intake is held with every student. We pay attention to motivation and enthusiasm for bilingual education.
- We ask every candidate to write a letter of motivation in advance.
- The order of receipt of the entries in combination with meeting the requirements determines whether we can take on a student.
- If the classes are full, we will place a student on a waiting list. We will know if a student can be taken on in the third week of June.
- Students that cannot be put in TTO will be offered a place in a regular Havo or Atheneum first year class.
TTO does carry extra costs with it. This money is spent on the CAE, CPE and IB certificates on study trips abroad and also on the extra TTO activities that are organised during the year. Click here for a overview school costs.
It is possible to contact our TTO Coordinator, Ms M vd Wel. She can be reached through the general school number 0591-622870 or by e-mail. Furthermore you can take a look at tweetaligonderwijs.nl for some interesting information on Bilingual Education in the Netherlands.